What are you looking for? An opportunity to put your talents to good use? An opportunity to join a group of people committed to showing the world the best face of the LGBTQ+ community? Then we want to hear from you!
This rich experience offers committed singers solo, ensemble and large group choral/vocal experiences unlike any other in the midwest. The Twin Cities Gay Men’s Chorus (TCGMC) encourages any and all to audition.
Thank you for your interest in joining Twin Cities Gay Men’s Chorus! TCGMC rehearses every Tuesday evening from 7-9:30pm at Hennepin Avenue United Methodist Church (see address below). Our next open rehearsal in advance of auditions for our Spring 2024 concert is Tuesday, November 28 at Grace Trinity Community Church. Spring 2024 auditions will be held on Sunday, December 17, 4-6pm at Grace Trinity Community Church (see address below).
Open rehearsal for the June 2024 concert is on Tuesday, March 12 (location TBD) with auditions on Thursday, March 14, 7-9pm at Grace Trinity Community Church. Singers who participate in the June 2024 concert have the opportunity to represent TCGMC at the 2024 GALA Choruses Festival which takes place Wednesday, July 10 – Sunday, July 14 in Minneapolis. Please note, there is a registration fee to be part of GALA Choruses Festival, and more information can be found at: galachoruses.org/festival-2024.
What you can expect from the audition:
- Sing 1 minute of a musical selection that best showcases your voice (about a verse and chorus of most songs).
- But what kind of song? Anything. We will have a fabulous accompanist on hand, so bring sheet music with you for them if your piece is accompanied. Your selection can also be a cappella if you wish. Either way, it need not be memorized. Broadway, opera, art song, torch song, pop song, hymn . . . the options are open. Accompanied or a cappella (an accompanist will be on site)
- Sight-Read some music
- If you cannot sight-read, I will see if you can sing back patterns of notes I play for you (i.e. if you cannot sight-read, I need to see if you can learn by rote).
- Range testing to place you in the appropriate section should you become a member.
- Maybe some questions about you and who you are . . . why do you want to be a part of TCGMC?
There will be chorus representatives at the audition to answer any questions, and assist with the audition process.
For more information, contact the Chorus Office at 612-339-7664.
Hennepin Avenue United Methodist Church
511 Groveland Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55403
Parking: on street and in lot
Entrance: main doors off parking lot
Grace Trinity Community Church
1430 W 28th St., Minneapolis, MN 55408
Parking: on street
Entrance: the glass double doors off 28th Street
How much does membership in TCGMC cost?
Membership is $75 for each performance period, with three periods per year. Scholarships are available for those who cannot afford this membership cost.
What is the time commitment?
Members commit to group practice 1.5 hours per week on Tuesday nights, and additional practice as needed to perfect the songs. The fall performance period will end in early December.
Interested in Volunteering with the Chorus?
We are always looking for volunteers to help us with office projects, selling product at our Chorus Store during concerts, and supporting fundraising activities. Volunteering is also a great way to get to know the Chorus before you decide to audition!
Visit our Volunteer page.